Nature, wildlife and photography lovers are invited to enter the Urban Wetland Photographer of the Year competition, open from 1 March 2023 and run by the London Wetland Centre. The competition champions the wonder of blue spaces in an urban setting and is the only photography competition to focus entirely on this.
As Spring and Summer bring with them longer days and renewed activity and life, the London Wetland Centre provides ample opportunities for taking breath-taking animal and nature shots, with its 105 acres of nature reserve acting as home to remarkable and rare wildlife found nowhere else in London such as butterflies, dragonflies, bees, moths, beetles, bats, frogs, fish, birds, plant life, fungi and more.
The categories are:
• Wetland Landscape: Capture the dramatic atmosphere of the urban wetland
• Wildlife Behaviour: Portraying a memorable moment with your subjects – can be playful, serious, inquisitive or unusual
• Rare/Unique Wetland Moment: A moment unique to an urban wetland
• Smartphone: Capture a meaningful image on your phone
• International: For those of you unable to make it to London this is the category for you! Urban wetlands from around the world
The competition is free to enter, open to all and closes at 23:59 GMT on 31st August 2023. All entries should be submitted via email to email@example.com. Winners will be announced in October.
For more details on the competition and the T&Cs for further details on submissions criteria, visit https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/london/whats-on/urban-wetland-photographer-of-the-year
All category winners will be given free individual WWT membership (existing members will be given free renewal for the following year). The overall winner will be awarded the title of Urban Wetland Photographer of the Year 2023, have their winning photo displayed on site at London Wetland Centre for a year and receive WWT joint or family membership.
For those interested in getting tips and inspiration and learning invaluable techniques from a professional photographer on how to take amazing pictures, The London Wetland Centre also runs a number of photography workshops throughout the year. These include:
• Wildlife Photography: Back to Basics – on Saturday 25 March
• Birds in movement, birds in flight – on Thursday 27 April
• Photographing in intense summer light – on Saturday 17 June
Visit the website for info on workshop topics, date and prices.
The London Wetland Centre is open from 9.30am to 5:00pm. Last admission is one hour before closing. For more information, visit https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/london