5 Minutes with Jamina
Why do you write for LDN Life (Be Nice): I like the variety of what LDN Life covers and I’m happy to be involved in bringing some of that variety to its pages
What are you Blogging Super Powers? (AKA like to write about etc.): Given that two of my recent posts have been about zombies perhaps I should say the living dead, but actually it’s any kind of strange goings on in London. If it’s weird and wonderful I’ll want to go there and write about it, especially if it has a naughty side.
What’s your Favourite Blog on LDN Life so far? The one on the Cereal Killers cafe. I thought it was a good opinion piece that I agreed with. This cafe has got a lot of schtick but they’re really only doing what every other bar and restaurant does and it’s a bit different. I haven’t been yet, but I want to.
What’s your Favourite part of London? I’m a nightowl and I love going out at night to eat, drink and then dance until dawn so East London (more specifically Dalston and London Fields) has to be my favourite part – you can easily find top quality places to do these things, sometimes all three at the same place.
What’s your least favourite part of London? People would probably expect me to say South London but actually it’s West London/Mayfair. Places that play generic house versions of pop music serving wayyy overpriced drinks. There are cool places in these areas, but also too many really bad ones.
Where would you live in London if money was no object? Probably one of those gorgeous flats off Victoria Park.
Favourite Bar? Oh god, this is too, too hard. I’m going to pretend for now you mean strictly bars and pubs don’t count so… Sager and Wilde. I rarely go to the same place twice when I go out as there’s always something new to try but I have been to S + W several times which just shows how much I love it.
Favourite Drink(s)? Short, strong and slightly sweet cocktails with a whisky or rum base – I could drink maple old fashioneds all the live long day. I also like deep, juicy red wines.
Do you have a favourite restaurant? Not really! I have favourite places for different types of cuisine. However, while not my ‘favourite’ the place I probably have eaten at most is Wahaca. I first went when they only had a couple of restaurants but they’re now pretty much a fully fledged chain which I would normally avoid. However, have yet to dislike a meal there and the prices are great.
Favourite Film? Probably The Princess Bride. Or maybe Dirty Dancing. They’re both kind of chick flicks but the only ones of that ilk that I like because they also happen to be perfect movies.
Favourite Band? I’d like to stress that I do not have a favourite band* but my favourite band right now is the Maccabees. Their recent single reminds me how much I like their jangly jaunty style.
Who would you invite to your dream dinner party? I’d invite Joan Rivers, Jack Nicholson (but let’s take 40 years off him) and Johnny Depp so I can lick his face.
If you could change something about London what would it be? Most definitely the rate of ‘redevelopment’ and how much-treasured venues are closing or coming under tight restrictions. There’s a whole side of London that is being squeezed and is in danger of disappearing.
The question of Shame!!!! Where in London have you not been to that you really should have by now? For a girl who loves drinking and cocktails so much, it’s probably a travesty that I haven’t yet set foot in 69 Colebrook Row.
Personal blog etc.: www.ginglelistseverything.blogspot.co.uk
*Ok, it’s probably Radiohead.
- Vapiano, 10th June July 13, 2015A few of my friends had already been to Vapiano and were quite excited for me when I was invited along to review it. I knew nothing of the concept except that it was Italian food. But I do now, and I like it!It’s a sort of hybrid fast food joint/restaurant – a bit like […]
- The Goblin King Ball, 8th May July 10, 2015After a long, long wait, finally it was announced that the Goblin King Masquerade Ball was to return – this time in conjunction with A Curious Invitation’s Rite of Spring party. So it is impossible simply to write about the Goblin part as they were really one and the same although you could definitely tell […]
- Keystone Crescent, 7th June July 8, 2015Ok, Keystone Crescent on a Sunday night is not exactly the place to be. But if you’re really looking to impress someone with your under-the-radar knowledge then the fact no one else seems to be there could actually work in your favour!I have to say, I kind of enjoyed having the place practically to myself […]
- Wonderland, 30th May July 6, 2015Wonderland was the second time in quite a short space of time I went to the Flying Dutchman for a party. The last time it was for Sparkle Hard and Wonderland had a similar sort of vibe going on. Dress code – colourful and whatever you want to wear (with it being somewhat alternative implied). […]
- The Advisory, 25th May June 26, 2015I like to get to know the places in my neighbourhood so you may have noticed my blog has quite an East London focus. When a new burger place opened in London Fields a few years ago, I immediately wanted to check it out just cos it was local. At one point renowned for causing […]
- To the Laser Cave, 16th May June 23, 2015To the Laser Cave was literarally full of shiny, happy people. Because To the Laser Cave is a rave with one key difference. Everything is about lasers (obvs), glitter, glowing and shininess. And almost everyone fully embraces this. It made such a difference from your common or garden East London rave.Firstly, the venue was a […]
- Alternative Nightlife June-July 2015 June 22, 2015I keep saying I’ll start doing more posts which give a heads up on upcoming events and then I get so behind on my actual blog posts I don’t! But here’s another stab at it.Basically, here’s a bit of a rundown of what’s coming up on my Meetup over the next month, so if you […]
- My Old Dutch, 15th May June 16, 2015I have had My Old Dutch on my list for yonks. It’s probably not the sort of place I’d normally seek out but I do love pancakes. Finally I got around to going for dinner before heading out for the evening. I was kind of in the middle of a health kick so I ordered […]
- Corner Room, 9th May June 15, 2015The food at the Corner Room was just lovely! And yet, when Stephen asked me if I would go back I said probably not. Why is that? Well, because we go to restaurants for more than simply eating. We go for an experience we can’t get at home and something about this experience lacked, though […]
- Reggaeoke, 13th May June 12, 2015Reggaeoke has already established itself quite well in Brixton, having been going for about a year down there. I went along to its Eastside launch at the Queen of Hoxton. Reggaeoke is exactly what you might think it is – karaoke but all the songs are reggae! There was a decent turnout – the night is […]
Jamina’s LDN Life
- Shake Rattle and Stir’s Gin Experience – Review June 9, 2015 Come with me… and you’ll be… in a world of pure imaGINation! Yes, let me tell you about way to immerse yourself in gin – …
- RAW Wine Fair 2015 Review May 23, 2015 I have been to a few wine tastings but I have never been to a wine fair! I have never been surrounded by so much …
- Land of Kings Festival 2015 – Review May 9, 2015 I was a little nervous about going to Land of Kings festival again. Why? Because I’d had such a good time the last time, I didn’t …
- Alice Underground – Review May 6, 2015 Writing about Alice Underground without giving anything away may be as nonsensical as the world of Wonderland Les Enfants Terrible have created itself. Not that …
- Land Of Kings Returns – 3rd May – Dalston’s Resident Festival Of Music & Arts April 27, 2015 It’s that time of year when Festival’s seemingly appear from nowhere and try and tempt us to part with our money and our weekends. In …
- Generation of Z – London Review April 23, 2015 I went to Generation of Z last week, and having gone in with rather low expectations, came out quite impressed. It’s not particularly scary – …
- Trapped. In a room. With a ZOMBIE! February 2, 2015 Trapped. In a room. With a ZOMBIE! Sounds like some kind of zompocalypse nightmare, but in fact it is just the latest in a genre …
- A Door in a Wall – Review November 4, 2014 If you like to give yourself a bit of a mental workout (and to a lesser degree, a physical one – I can guarantee you …
- Wapping Market – Worth Getting up For? October 13, 2014 Despite living practically up the road from it (albeit a very long road, that would twist and turn and change names quite a bit), and …